I began my quest towards a backyard chicken flock this morning at about 7:00 AM. I got up an searched the Internet for some pictures of chicken tractors (movable chicken pens) and drafted up plans for my own based on the things I saw that I liked. At 8:00 I headed to the local hardware store to pick up the necessary lumber and a few other supplies. I made a quick stop at McDonald’s to get some Chicken Biscuits for Richie who was still in bed. I knew I might need a helping hand and nothing gets him out of bed faster than the promise of food!
After we had a bite to eat and took care of an emergency with our cat (see below), I began to build the yard portion of my chicken tractor. After several long hours of labor I finally finished the chicken yard. I am sore and sunburned but man does it feel good to have accomplished so much!
Now all I have left to do is build the hen house! That is a project for tomorrow though!
The open end with no chicken wire is where the hen house will attach to the yard. The two sticky/outy things on the front are the handles. Eventually there will be wheels at the back. You can lift up on the handles and easily roll the “tractor” to its new location allowing the hens access to fresh ground and feed!
I also added a door in case I need to get in and out of the yard for any reason! I did this ALL BY MYSELF!!! I am very proud of my work!
Cat Emergency – Several days ago our cat came home and I noticed that the top of his tail was swollen. He has been acting a little strange lately too. He hides under the couch for 10 or more hours at a time. He was still eating so I wasn’t too concerned. Well last night he was on my lap and was laying in such a way that there was pressure on his tail from my leg. He kept meowing and getting very upset. Eventually he went under the couch. Well as of 8:45 this morning he still had not come out so we moved the couch to get him. When I picked him up some blood started to ooze from his tail. Of course he was crying and scratching and quite obviously not happy! Well then the wound started to ooze all kinds of nasty stuff in amounts you could not believe! It was the grossest thing ever! We were able finally to get a look at the wound and it is some sort of puncture wound. We are unsure as to what caused the wound but I guess it doesn’t matter. Once it was completely drained we were able to clean it and give him some antibiotics. He should make a complete recovery! He is currently hiding in the barn. He is so mad at me I don’t think he will come home for a day or two!